Thursday, March 26, 2009

Market, Paparazzi, and Noah, O My!

Market Adventure
As promised, it is time to share briefly about the market experience. Kelli and I decided to venture out into the market place and get a small taste of what Ghana is all about. The market is the second largest in all of Africa, and so we knew we were in for a treat. We had no idea the sights and smells we would encounter. Our first shock was a large basket filled with the largest snails you have ever seen. If that is not enough, the snails were still alive, crawling around. The lady was convinced that since Kelli and I lingered that we wanted to purchase one of these tasteful creatures. We did not purchase one, but she allowed us to take a picture of her and these enormous creatures.

Paparazzi Kelli
Speaking of pictures, we have tried to take as many photos and video of the market place as possible, but our endeavors have been cut short several times by people shouting and police officers threatening to arrest us. Kelli would not give up and kept sneaking around the corner and on top of buildings to get footage. I would describer her as the paparazzi, African style.

Amy’s Experiences
There are moments in your life that you will never forget, moments that change your life and heart forever. I have had many moments like that, when I became a Christian, married Eric, met Tony (little boy adopted from Uganda by Linda), and now when I met the woman I am about ready to talk about.

This woman is a founder of a school that currently has around 200 students. She worked in Israel for a while and saved her money and came back to Ghana and put all of her money into building a school. She is an honest, hard working, wonderful woman of God who in a few short hours changed my life.

She has a son with a man that is an American citizen and works for the UN. Her son is American and she could come and stay in America. She has chosen to start this school and make a difference in the country she was born in.

We began to discuss the differences between America and Ghana. I asked her questions about “black power” and the Ashanti Empire. She began to talk about how her pastor and church had a week long debate on whether Africans were decedents of Ham, Noah’s youngest son. If you do not know the story it can be found in Genesis 9 and it is about Noah being drunk and Ham walking in on him being naked. Instead of covering his father up, he went and told his two older brothers, Shem and Japheth. The older brothers then went and covered up their father Noah without looking at him. Noah then cursed Ham. He blessed Shem (Europe and the USA), and Japheth (Middle East). She asked me, is Africa cursed because of Ham?

I then talked to her about how when sin entered into the world through Adam and Eve, suffering began to happen. I told her that people in America suffer in different ways, but still suffer. I told her that although we are a nation that has many things available to us, we are a depressed nation in many ways. I described how many people are not satisfied with their life and live in bondage. I told her about poor people in America, sick people in America, violence in America, and corruption in America. I explained to her we all suffer because of sin. Africa is not the only continent suffering and they should not give up and believe they are cursed.

We then discussed how in Africa they still worship Idols and perform black magic. I explained to her that in America, we also worship idols such as money, body image, power, and fame. I told her it was the same on both continents. We both disappoint God in different ways.

She smiled at me and said we are sisters; we are all children of God. She then said that she had promised God she would go into full time ministry and then started the school and felt a heavy burden on her heart. She asked, "Am I disappointing God." Here I am in front of a woman who has sacrificed a lot of things to provide education in a county that desperately needs amazing teachers. Here is a woman who has given up a promised more comfortable life in America for one of hard work and dedication in Africa. When she asked that question, I was almost knocked off my feet.

I explained to her that in the world we have enough people telling others about Jesus. We have plenty of pastors, evangelists, and people doing full time ministry. I told her that what we need more of is people being like Jesus and serving people the way that Jesus did. This woman is being more like Jesus then I could only dream of being one day, and she doubts her service to the Lord. It opened my eyes to how much more I could be doing with the resources and talents the Lord has given me.

I was reminded today again of the joy and resilience that African people have. Although many live in poverty and conditions we would never be able to survive, at the end of the day they find Joy and their strength in the Lord. There is something about this continent that stretches you and brings you to a whole new level with the Lord. I feel so alive in my heart when I touch the soil of this continent and am surrounded by the beautiful children.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful story, Amy! I am so glad you were able to go to Africa and bless these people. Love to you and Kel!
    -Lindsay H.

    ReplyDelete