Friday, March 27, 2009

Out in the Field Again

Kelli and I wanted to give you a quick update on some recent occurrences that have happened while in Ghana:

Number 1: Every single African we talk to asks about President Barack Obama. They call us Obama's people. The other night we talked to two men about the President and they explained that they were excited that someone that was black was able to hold the highest office in the most powerful country in the world. They then said that America named it the White House because only white people could be president. Kelli quickly jumped in and said that a woman had never been president. I added that the white house was not called the "man house."

Number 2: There are custom checks everywhere in Ghana. Today we saw three and our favorite one included a rope across the street that they would pull up and have you stop if they wanted to check your vehicle. We never had the rope pulled so we didn't get to see how it officially worked.

Number 3: There is NO African standard time in Ghana. Every single person arrives on time, or ten minutes early. This has been an adjustment for me since I am used to being in Africa and running at least two or three hours behind schedule.

Number 4: There are actually prices marked on some items in small street market stores. Today we went to buy some African medicine for my mouth and there was a price that was on the item. There was no negotiation or higher price for me.

Number 5: School buses in Ghana still can fit at least 80 children in the buses, only these are large white vans with closed doors, not a truck with bars you hang onto. I still enjoy riding on the bus to school.

Number 6: Today we went to a large meeting with SAT and there was 29 groups making repayments on their loans. This took a long time so Kelli and I had a lot of time to interact with women from the village. I have named myself Health and Safety Manager for the Trip and so I was spraying but spray all over myself and encouraging Kelli to do the same. I look up and see at least 15 African women staring at me and laughing. Finally, I figure out that they think it is perfume and want a spray. I sprayed it on the women and they were happy.

Our trip today started out by us zooming down a road at 125 km per hour on a Ghana highway. This road was actually very well constructed and had few pot holes. There are no rules on when it is appropriate to pass and everyone in Ghana has the right away. Kelli and I braced ourselves and were relieved when we made it safely to the village.

We shadowed a loan officer that held multiple group meetings at one location. There was a total of 29 groups of women and men at the meeting and the place was packed. Kelli gave a short presentation on Malaria prevention and the audience loved it.

Everywhere we go we are greeted with smiles, hugs, and hand shakes. I was able to hold an African baby for a long time and this brought great joy to my heart. We were also able to talk to women who have been able to do amazing things thanks to the loans they have received from SAT bank. It is amazing to watch this whole process unfold. The loan officer collected over $12,000 today and all the groups re payed.

We met one woman that we spoke to for a long time. She had a small business where she sold cloth at a local stand. She once only sold four pieces of cloth and she now has hundreds to sell. This is all thanks to a loan she was able to get from SAT.

Kelli and I are enjoying our sister bonding and this exciting adventure. We are currently at the SAT main office and Kelli and our friend from Kenya (The Technology Man) are busy trying to get the POS machines working. These are the machines that Kelli is doing her research on and trying to find out if implementing this new technology makes since from a business stand point. These machines are remarkable and are able to identify loan officer and client finger prints and can work in remote villages.

There is something remarkable about how the Lord works on your heart when you are away from your normal life and forced into a new situation. I know that the African people have made far more of an impact on my life then I will ever make on theirs. I have learned so much about myself from this trip. I am excited to see what all the Lord has planned for Kelli and I.

I am currently thinking that I might need to help, but enjoying updating all of you! Please continue to read our blog and make comments! Please continue to pray for our trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment