Thursday, April 2, 2009

Goodbye and Hello

Today has been a bitter sweet day. We had to say good bye to Kelli’s friends at SAT and my friends at the school. The kids put on a great program for us consisting of songs and traditional dancing. I even joined in on one of them. One of the teachers wrote a poem and had one of the older girls read it to me. It brought tears to my eyes. As I was leaving they were all grabbing me and begging me to stay or take them with me.

It is always breaks my heart to say good bye to the children in Africa. It is amazing how close you can become to these kids after spending such a short time with them. As I waved goodbye to the school, I knew that part of my heart would now be in Ghana.

The people at SAT were so sad to see Kelli leave and said they were patiently awaiting her return. Kelli was able to get a lot accomplished and get the machines up and running and the time study started. It will be interesting to see how things go when she returns in July.

We are now back in Accra after a five and a half hour bus ride. We are staying at the guest house that Kelli and a group of her friends and colleagues stayed at last summer. We have an action packed day planned tomorrow and I am most excited to see the health clinic that Kelli helped start.

It is late here and I will update everyone more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment