Wednesday, April 1, 2009

School Days

The past couple of days I have continued to go to the school. When I was in Uganda, I was always amazed with how excited the children were to come to school, this has not changed. The children pack into a bus (a big white van) and are packed so tightly that you can not see many of them. The schools have limited supplies, and the teachers at most schools are not professional teachers, but the children put on their uniform each morning and head to school, wanting more than anything to learn.

I have often wondered, what motivates these children, why are they so passionate about coming to school each morning. I am quickly reminded as a ride home on the school bus and see mothers and fathers pick up their children that these children are desperate for a chance to be educated so that they can one day have a job. They don’t want a job so that they can live in a fancy house, drive the nicest car, or wear the most stylish clothes; they want a job so that they can survive. They dream of being able to provide for their family a better life then what they had growing up.

The school that I have been teaching at has impressed me and captured my heart. The woman that runs the school started the school from the ground up and is constantly reaching out to her village and serving the families in her community. She has big plans for the school and hopes to continue to be able to serve children who come from families who can not afford education for their children.

I have taught the children Jesus Loves Me, This Little Light of Mine, and the Hokey Pokey. I have sung these songs so much that my voice has started to hurt and at the end of the day I am exhausted. None of that matters the next day because I can’t get enough of singing and dancing with these children because of their beautiful smiles. It is their smiles that will remain in my heart and continue to drive me towards wanting to help Africa.

The reality is that as much as I help Africa, it is truly Africa that helps me. When I come to this continent, my whole heart changes and I see the Lord in a whole different light. The people of Africa have a lot to teach me about hard work and joy that can only come from the Lord.

When I get back to the states I plan on meeting with as many school teachers that will meet with me and developing a curriculum that I can give to village schools in Africa. These schools need materials on how to teach English, Math, Physical Education, Health, Religion, and Phonics. I know many teachers who could share so much knowledge with the schools in Africa. This will be the start of a ministry that can outreach too many schools in Africa.

If you know any teachers that would like to get involved, please email the information to Amy Shackelford at Amy.unveiled@gmail.com.

Kelli has been working hard on the project. She has gone in early and stayed late. The technology that she is implementing is now up and running and the pilot is off to a good start.

1 comment:

  1. I'm SO excited about getting teachers here to help create a curriculum to teach in schools in Africa!

    ReplyDelete