Saturday, April 4, 2009

Note from Kelli

Note from Kelli~

Well, since it is our last day I decided I should write on our blog! Amy does such a good job telling the stories that I thought I would leave it to her. Our adventure and time here has been incredible. I hope we will have another sister trip again soon.

The women entrepreneurs I have met are incredible and inspiring. They work tirelessly from morning until night. I tried to capture their stories and take pictures of their faces and businesses. I hope to do something cool with the pictures and stories…. Any ideas? It is amazing how different lives are in different parts of the world. It makes me wonder… if I were born in Africa, would I have the courage to start a business? Would I be able to carry one child on my back, one in my arms, and a basket full of clothes on my head? These women are up at dawn walking to market, and work until the sun falls. What an inspiration!

If you would like to see a few pictures of the women I met, here is a link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2199367&id=34304037&l=4deffe308f

Here is a glimpse at a few of the inspiring stories:

Yau Mansah (woman with smoked fish)

Yau started receiving loans from SAT seven years ago, and has now completed 14 cycles of loans. Her businesses have consistently grown and expanded over time.

Yau leaves near a small market in Offinso, at a place called Dentin. The living conditions can be very tough, but Yau works hard and continues to grow her business.

Yau travels to Eiji to buy smoked fish to sell in the market. Her sister died and left four children in her care. "The money I make from selling the smoked fish helps me create a better life for my sister's children who are now in my care. I am able to provide them with clothes, education, and hope for a better life."

“The training Vida (loan officer Yau works with) and SAT have given me has been very helpful. I have learned better how to attend to my clients, which has allowed my business to grow.”

Before taking her first loan from SAT, Yau could only grow vegetables to sell, and the money did not provide enough income to support her sister’s four children. "I am very thankful for SAT and the loans I have been provided."

Prisca Ajaari – Loan officer at Central Market

Prisca served her year of national service at SAT. Following that, she completed a six month apprenticeship program at SAT where she learned how to be a loan officer. Now Prisca covers 17 trust bank groups which includes 320 clients.

“There is a great need for additional microfinance services in Ghana. Most people in Ghana cannot get any money to start a small business. This keeps them constantly dependent and struggling to get by day to day. They keep working on the same $100 for their whole lives. They make so much of a small loan, and it allows their profit to increase. Most of our clients are women, and they are the breadwinners who must take care of their families. These women work very hard to take care of their families, but it can be difficult to get ahead.”


“In addition to working with the women on their business, I get to know their personal lives. This is part of doing my job well. I need to know my clients very well, and get to learn about their lives. If my client has a problem with her kids, her business, or anything, she can talk to me about it.”

A typical day for Prisca involves a lot of meetings with clients, primarily collecting repayments and holding training and orientation. Some days are “disbursement” days where clients receive their loans.

One memorable client was Fati, who had a really tough health problem. Prisca invited Fati to come to the office, and found a friend that was a doctor to help her. “I felt very happy knowing I had a difference to not just help Fati financially, but to help meet her other needs as well.”

Prisca also told me, “At SAT we are very focused on transforming lives through microfinance, and we really want to do that. We have to turn away people because they are not qualified borrowers. Supporters will help us to continue to expand our reach to the poorest people.”

Thanks very much for reading. May we all be inspired to work towards a world without poverty!

No comments:

Post a Comment